ST. DOMINIC'S SCHOOL REFURBISHED WITH W20 STEEL WINDOWS
Double doorsets as well as old metal windows have been replaced under a major contract carried out by a member of the Steel Window Association as part of the refurbishment of a north London primary school.
The work on St Dominic’s Primary School in Camden was undertaken by West Leigh Limited on behalf of Lakehouse Contracts, with Ingleton Wood being the architectural practice leading the project. Due to the age of the school building, which dates from the 1930s, the W20 suite of sections was chosen to provide like-for-like replacements. New steel sub-frames were also supplied to take the place of the rotten timber originals.
West Leigh utilised the well proven W20 frame members to fabricate a selection of top hung vents, with the ones installed at higher level featuring Teleflex gearing for remote operation. The new double doors were all fitted with panic bars to ensure safe emergency egress, while all of the 16 mm insulating glass units featured a 4 mm soft coat low-E inner leaf with a Krypton gas fill to help meet the current standards of Part L to the Building Regulations. All of the W20 frames were hot dip galvanized and finished with a RAL 9920, Hippca White semi-gloss polyester powder coat.
St Dominic’s has a colourful history, having been built on land purchased by the Dominican Order in 1862 and was run by Dominican Sisters. It was rebuilt in 1932, at a cost of £32,000, and children between the ages of five to 14 were taught there before being evacuated early in WW II, where the building then became an auxiliary fire station. It re-opened in 1941, and in 1958 became a junior mixed school teaching pupils up to the age of 11.
For details of modern steel windows call the SWA on 0844 249 1355, e-mail email@example.com or look at website www.steel-window-association.co.uk